Hemp Seed Mylk
I make a lot of plant-based mylk on a weekly basis. However, it can get boring if I drink the same ones day in and day out! That's why I love the fact I can use more or less any nut or seed to produce a bottle of home-made milk, quickly an easily.
Whether you follow a vegan/plant-based diet or not, drinking milk made out of plants is so much healthier for your gut, especially if you suffer with IBS (irritable bowel type symptoms), bloating, or digestive discomfort which occur after consuming any products containing dairy!
Hemp seeds, are the seeds of the hemp plant, or Cannabis sativa. Although marijuana comes from the same plant, hemp seeds only contain a trace amount of tetrahydrocannabinoids (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana, so should not get you high! Actually, they're quite healthy for you.
Although we are using the whole seeds to make this milk, you can eat the hearts (which have been shelled) to get the following benefits:
- Excellent 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health.
- High in GLA, an essential omega-6 fatty acid that’s been proven to naturally balance hormones.
- “Perfect protein” not only containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
You can use this milk to make my favourite turmeric drink (like this one), pour over your cereal or mix into your porridge. If you want to use it in your tea or coffee put it into your cup first before adding the hot water, so that it doesn't curdle!
Easy Hemp Milk
Recipe makes 600ml serving | Takes 5-10 minutes to prepare
What You Need
1/4 cup (30g) of hemp seeds soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
600ml of filtered water
Blender – a high speed one would work better, or a nutri-bullet using the large cup, however a normal domestic blender will also work, but will take a little longer
A clean glass bottle, or 2 clean jars (sterilise with hot water before use)
A piece of muslin or cheesecloth, sieve and large jug/bowl (to strain the liquid into once blended)
How To Make It
- Rinse the soaked hemp seeds in clean water. Place seeds and water into the blender, then blend until the seeds have combined well into the liquid.
- Next, put the muslin/cheese cloth into the sieve and place over the jug/bowl, then pour in the blended mixture. Let it run through, then towards the end gently squeeze out the excess.
- Pour into you clean sterilised bottle/jars, and store in the fridge. Use within 2 – 4 days.
Enjoy and don't forget to share you comments on how you found this recipe.